Sorry, longest post ever but there are certain things I want to document before I forget!!
AR has had what Dr. Goldblatt calls chronic sinus infections. She has had a runny green nose almost every day since January. After confirmation from an xray of her adenoids and an ENT, we made her an appointment to have an adenoidectomy on April 28th. Even though it is a minor surgery, I knew she would be put to sleep which made me nervous. I planned on taking the entire day off to spend it with my recovering toddler! Little did I know what the night before her surgery had in store. As everyone knows, tornadoes hit Alabama over and over again well in to the night. Heath and I felt comfortable driving our little family home around 9:30 that night. Both babies fell asleep on the way home and never even knew we carried them to their beds. Going to bed was not so easy for me. I had to keep the news on to hear the latest updates and was still waiting for word on what hospital Jennifer had been sent to. Around midnight, I heard Westin stirring which would soon turn into inconsolable screaming. Heath and I bounced and rocked and patted all night long but nothing we did worked. From midnight until 4:00 am he fell asleep twice for only 30 minutes. At 4:00 am I gave him another dose of Tylenol I put him back in his crib to let him cry it out. I knew this behavior had to be because he had an ear infection and once the Tylenol kicked in he fell back to sleep quickly. However, after zero hours of sleep it was now time for us to start getting ready to make AR's 6:30 appointment that was an hour away. Aunt Sa-Sa gladly came over at 5:30 to keep Westin so we could focus on AR. AR slept the whole way to the out patient clinic and was barely awake when they called us back. They gave her some happy juice which turned her into a giggle box and took her away for her 30 minutes procedure.
Heath and I were glued to the news playing on the TV in the lobby. By this time, daylight had shown on all of the devastation and that is when we realized how awful it really was. All we could do was shake our heads in disbelief. During that 30 minute waiting time, we also got a phone call from Aunt Sa-Sa letting us know that Westin had woken up and was still inconsolable. I immediately called and made him a doctor's appointment for that afternoon. Dr. Davis came out while I was on the phone with the pediatrician to let us know all went well and she was in recovery. About 10 minutes later we were taken back to a screaming mad two year old who was doing everything in her power to rip her IV out of her hand. It took Heath and I both to hold her down but she finally gave up and fell back to sleep.
After an hour in recovery we were given the OK to take her home. She was in and out the whole way home but by the time we pulled in the driveway she was ready to run. By 9:00 she was hungry and bouncing off the walls. She spent the rest of the afternoon riding around in "Daddy's Truck" and spending time with the boys while Mommy took Westin to the pediatrician. To have been so upset for the the past 12 hours, Westin did an amazing job at the doctor's office. He let Dr. Goldblatt check both ears, his nose, and his throat without having to be held down or even crying. Dr. G confirmed that he did have an ear infection and told us that this was the last one before tubes.
![]() |
| Notice the bug bites on his face.. They love him.. |
We were given a antibiotic prescription and a smiley face tongue depressor and sent on our way. On my home from the pediatricians office I received the news that Jennifer had in fact been killed but it was still considered unconfirmed. Finally arriving home, I left the babies in the care of PawPaw and Daddy and went to bed.
Spending the entire day in 2 different doctors offices is rough enough. Add no sleep and an emotional 24 hours on top of that and I was done. Thankfully the days that followed would prove to be much better.





1 comment:
OMG Ashley! Bless your heart!!! That would be a very emotional stressful 24 hours! Sounds like you handled it like a champ and I hope the little ones start feeling better fast!!
Post a Comment