This song kept running through my mind on our road trip to San Antonio. I was so excited to see Heath and spend a few days in Texas with him. However, the weather was not willing to cooperate. We left Birmingham at 6:30 Thursday night with an ETA of 6:30 a.m. The weather was awful in Birmingham. School and businesses where closing early and the roads were beginning to ice over. As the night progressed, the weather seemed to ease up and we felt very confident about going ahead and leaving! While trucking down the interstate through Alabama, Mississippi, and half way through Louisiana we got ahead of schedule! I was excited because we were now going to arrive before Heath left for work. Baton Rouge is where the trouble began. We came to a complete stop on the interstate around 1:00 a.m. because of an awful wreck and soon found out that they decided to completely close down the interstate. Back roads we went!! An hour later we came to a complete stop again because of another wreck. However, we sat for 2 hours. No one moving. Heath called me at 5:00 a.m. to see where we were. I hated to say we were only a few miles out of Baton Rouge and still had over half way to go. As I was getting off the phone with him traffic began to move! Slowly but surely we made our way through Louisiana and on into Texas. As we progressed we were able to only go a few miles on the interstate to quickly find that they were closing them down. We spent almost the rest of the way on back roads relying solely on the GPS! After receiving pictures like these of San Antonio from Heath, I felt like there was no way we were not going to make it.


Around noon, it FINALLY got above freezing and as we entered Katy, Texas the sun came out and we were San Antonio bound via the interstate!! ETA - 3:30 p.m. which is exactly what time we arrived! How long was our drive.....21 HOURS!

When we arrived I knew if I slowed down that would be it for the night. So we showered and dressed and made our way to Cowboys which is a dance hall, rodeo arena, and bar/club all in one. It's massive. I wanted to see people dance and that is exactly what I got. I loved the cowboy boots, line dancing, country music atmosphere. It was very obvious that I was in awe because I stood around with my mouth wide open watching these people "glide" across the dance floor.
 |
Dale and Kevin / Jennifer and Houston
Heath and I / Jane and Charlie |
Charlie Wayne {the man behind Westin Wayne} insisted I go one time around on the dance floor. I was AWFUL and let that be my one and only time. We had a blast!!
The next morning we spent a little bit of time at the outlet malls and then made our way to Gruene. We spent the afternoon at Gruene Hall where many famous country musicians have played. In fact, it's the oldest operating dance hall in Texas.
We left Gruene Hall and walked to the Gristmill for dinner!
Before heading back we walked the streets of Gruene.
On our last day we decided to spend our last few hours in downtown San Antonio and eat lunch at one of the restaurants on the River Walk.
Our last stop before going to the airport was touring the Tower of Americas.
We had a blast while we were there and the 3 hour plane ride home instead of a 12 hour drive was such a relief!

No comments:
Post a Comment