I know I have been distant from the blogging world the past few months and not because I want to be but because our schedule is ridiculous. By the time I get home and actually get a minute to myself, I find myself brainstorming on what I need to be doing next. Life needs to slow down. So I hate to come back to the blogging world with a lengthy post of what I've had on mind...but oh well...I'm gonna spill it.
The other day in the hall, a group of teacher friends and I were discussing blogs. One of my friends made the comment that she doesn't read blogs anymore because she has a hard time not comparing herself and her lifestyle to other people. I completely agree! It is very easy to get "the grass is greener on the other side attitude." Especially when your life isn't a bed of roses and all you see are the great things going on in other people's lives. But that's it...many blogs that we read only post the good, the pretty, the highlights because let's admit it, who wants to share the bad? Who wants to read the bad? Well I do! I want to see that people struggle like me. I want to see that all mom's aren't perfect and I am not the only working mom in the world who just can't seem to get it together.
Our life is no where near a fantasy and I have tried not to make it out like it is. I took a look back at a few posts from the past, remembering the days, the moments, the instances I wrote about and I realized that I haven't always been completely open. Those moments, those instances, those days were not as perfect as I made them out to be. There were tears, disagreements, accidents, drama and times when things didn't go exactly as I envisioned. But when summarizing the events, I left those negative moments out. Who wants to share the bad? Who wants to read the bad? I do!
So let me tell you how it really is around these parts...
I am a procrastinator. Always have been, always will be. I wait until the last minute to do anything and spend the rest of the time catching up on something else I should have done.
I long to develop a Type A personality but I don't think it's ever going to happen. Why couldn't that be me?? Why can't I be the wife and mommy who comes home after a long day at work and gets laundry washed, folded and put away, get supper ready and cleaned up, has the children in bed at a decent hour, clothes laid out, and the house cleaned before bedtime. That is definitely not me.
My house is a mad house. My life is chaotic. I've browsed Pinterest, used spreadsheets, check lists, calendars, binders, and so on to get my life organized and structured. I guess it's just not in the cards for me to live the "easy" life.
Instead my life consists of piles of laundry, clean and dirty. Messy bedrooms and bathrooms. Mornings that require a spanking at least 3 times a week. Stubborn children who fight constantly. A car I can't seem to keep cleaned out. An unbalanced checking account. Family members to visit. A To-Do list that hasn't been done. Unread emails. Half written blog post. A flower bed full of weeds. Presents to buy. Dishes to wash. Babies to feed. Lesson plans to write. A bible to be read.
Yes. This is my life. It's no walk in the park and I think I am okay with that. I am so blessed so why hide the ugly...because is it really ugly?? It's my life...
6 comments:
I feel exactly the same way. I do sometimes leave out the ugly but it's definitely happening. I wish I was Type A. My husband wishes I was Type A, but I'm not and I never will be.
My life is wonderful even though we have struggles and ugly moments from time to time.
I hope you have a great weekend!
love this ashley!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this post! I've stopped reading the more widely known blogs because they just remind me of things I don't have - particularly time. I'm a working mom too and I just don't have time to make play doh from scratch or spend hours making homemade cleaning products. I rarely have extra money for fancy birthday parties and my house is usually a disaster zone. My husband is a teacher and coaches 2 sports (#neverhome). I don't mean to complain - we are SO SO blessed to have a home and food and clothing and especially a God who grants me more grace than I deserve. I'm just so thankful I'm not the only 1 who experiences the "ugly". Love your blog! Your family is precious!
well, I'm right there with both of you and let me tell you I am Type A-It is really really hard for me as well!!! Don't think just because you that way it would be any easier-instead the piles, the mess, the chaos-it all drives me CRAZY and I struggle to prioritize what I should-i.e my husband, kids...God. I clean when I should be giving my kids attention. I make lists like ALL over the house when I should be writing in my journal to God. I was laughing when I read your post Ashley mostly because I spend most of my days wishing to goodness I was NOT type A. I always tell my husband that life would be SOOO much easier!
So your right-the grass definitely isn't greener...
Well I totally agree! I definitely have my struggles!! My house is NEVER clean and I definitely don't cook from stratch during the week. There aren't enough hours during the day when you're exhausted from working all day. And I definitely have my meltdowns, the I cant take anymore moments, that always get resolved by a nice soaking bath. lol I'm always hard on myself because I want to be a great wife and the best mommy but sometimes I just need to accept I'm not that every day.
My favorite post to date. This is SO me. Despite that pretty cleaning chart, we are drowning in laundry and dust bunnies over here. Wanna grab a coffee and commiserate?
Post a Comment