Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Clear Unsightly Blemishes

AR received a sweet Bitty Baby for Christmas from Memaw! Two days later her baby doll looked like this:



Yes, my friends. AR drew all over her Bitty Baby's face and hands with an ink pen.

I trolled the Internet for answers and tried the following:


The ink's dye soaked deeply into the plastic, staining it so that no amount of surface scrubbing would remove it.

So I tried one last thing:


10% benzoyl peroxide acne cream

A toy collectors' forum suggested that acne cream and sunlight could remove the ink stains without bleaching the doll's skin tone or removing painted accents.

On a bright, sunny afternoon, I smeared the acne cream over her "blemishes" and left her to sunbathe for a few hours. The darkest stains took around 4 hours of bright sunlight to disappear. Many of the lighter stains were gone in 2 hours.




  
Bitty Baby received a quick photo shoot before returning to her cradle.




I still need to go back and get in her nose and ears and a few other small crevices but 2 lesson were learned during this experiment:

1. Be very cautious of unattended pens around toddlers
2. Don't wear acne cream in direct sunlight

2 comments:

Allison said...

Way to save the day or the bitty baby's face, mommy! haha I'll have to remember this tip for the day when BR does the same thing because I'm sure it will happen.

The Lamberts said...

hahaha I like #2. Man if it does that to a baby doll what is it doing to your face?! AH!