Thursday, September 11, 2008

Patriot Day

Today is Patriot Day (not to be confused with Patriots Day- there is a different holiday called Patriots Day) and it's hard to believe that it has been 7 years since the terroist attacks. Being that I am going to be a teacher one day and always looking for ideas, I asked AnnMarie (the little girl I nanny for on Tuesday and Thursday night) how they celebrated Patriot Day at school. To my surprise, she had no idea what I was talking about. She said they were suppose to wear red, white, or blue to school today but she didn't know why. That, to me, is shocking that they didn't even talk about Patriot Day at school. Note to self...When you have a class of your own, celebrate Patriot Day... AnnMarie, being the curious 7 year old she is, asked me what Patriot Day was. So I explained to her what happened (I kept it rated G) and how we now use this day as a day of prayer and remembrance to all of those people who died in the attack. She actually seemed very interested. I have to admit that there have been many September 11th's that I have let pass by without really thinking much about it. I think a lot of us do that. I can gladly say today was different. At 8:00 pm, I sat down on the couch with AnnMarie's binder to sign her reading log and conduct calendar. I thought to myself that tonight I am turning in early. After many sleepless nights in a row, tonight is going to be the night that I get a good nights rest. I then propped my swollen feet up on a pile of pillows and with a glass of water in one hand I began to try to find something to watch on television. While searching through the guide something caught my eye. It was a documentary called 102 Minutes That Changed America on the History channel. After hitting info to see what this was all about, I realized it was a documentary about 9/11 from eyewitnesses who caught what they saw that day on their video cameras. I thought to myself, "I have never seen anything about 9/11 from the people who were actually in New York City experiencing it all. I bet this is going to be really interesting!" So I hit OK and began to watch. About that time, Heath walked through the door. Heath and I found ourselves glued to this documentary. As each minute passed by we sat in disbelief. Neither one of us could imagine how these people must have felt has they witnessed these buildings first get hit and then begin to fall. Watching what these innocent people went through and how scared they were really opened our eyes. It really made us appreciate the time we have together, our lives, our families, and our country.

No comments: