Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Toddler Tuesday

I've decided that AR is ready to begin memorizing and reciting scripture so I've been debating on how to go about introducing it to her. I decided that I wanted to correspond the alphabet in with this as well so this is what we have started an...ABC Scripture Book


Every week we will begin with a new letter. I will write the letter and scripture that goes along with that letter onto a sheet of paper. Not only will AR work on memorizing and reciting the verse but she and Westin will also work on activities that go along with the letter. Westin isn't ready to start reciting scripture yet. We are doing good for him to say "Where's my cup?" However, he can work on learning his letters and colors and broadening his vocabulary.

I decided we would start a new letter every Sunday. Sunday's give us a little longer in the day to work on our page for our book. During the week, we will read books, learn new songs, and participate in several crafts/activities about our letter/theme. While doing this, AR will be in the process of memorizing her verse and hopefully be ready to recite it by the end of the week. Hopefully, on Saturdays we can go to the library to return our books and check out books for the new week!

This week:
Letter: A

Verse: A gentle answer turns angry away. Proverbs 15.1

Activities:
*color/create apples for book page
*learn the Johnny Appleseed Song
The Lord’s been good to me
And so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need:
The sun and the rain and the appleseed.
The Lord is good to me!

*Apple stamps with real apples
*Animal Cracker math {1+1=2}
*Act out animals
*Animal Paper Bag Puppet

Books/Poems
"Animal Crackers" by Christopher Morley
Ten Apples up On Top by Dr. Suess

So here is what we have done so far:






I am going to make a book for AR and Westin. Here is their first page.

 Hopefully as the weeks progress I will get better at planning out our week and bettering our activities. I didn't check out many books this week because I won't be home to read to them for most of the week.
I will probably update every Saturday and then link up with Jennifer over at Life in the Green House on Tuesday! She started a Toddler Tuesday link up that I thought would be perfect for us to participate in over the next 26 weeks!

2 comments:

Cassie Fields said...

Great ideas, my girls have always learned songs quickly. So we usually make up a tune to our verse.

Allison said...

This is a great idea! I love it! I think I will add scripture to our weekly preschool plans just to introduce Brantley to the word. I know she can't memorize it yet but hearing it weekly can't hurt. If you have a link to share with me let me know. Thanks!