Monday, January 26, 2009

HATE is such a strong word..

In my post, Passies and Chuckles, I mentioned that Ava Reese was wearing Pooh jammies but not by choice because I hate Pooh. Cassie over at Four Fields ask me to explain my reasoning behind "hating" Pooh Bear, so therefore, I will explain. {Sorry that I am just now getting to your question. For some reason, I just got your comment which is weird.} I don't really hate Pooh. In fact, I think Pooh and Piglet and Tiger and all of the other characters are very cute! The reason I say "I hate Pooh" is because I don't like Pooh or any other characters on clothing, blankets, bedding, etc. When I was shopping for Ava Reese's nursery, clothing, bedding, toys, etc. when I was pregnant, people would always say, "So what about Pooh?" and my reply would always be "NO! I hate Pooh!" It's nothing against Pooh, it's against all characters that are put on merchandise like Minnie and Mickie, Looney Tunes, Dora, Diego, etc. Pooh is just the most popular character on baby items and therefore he gets the blunt force of my attacks against character merchandise. I think all the characters are super cute on their tv shows and movies but I hate to see them on anything else. I will probably eat my words when Ava Reese gets older and wants all of these things with her favorite character on them and I am kind of eating my words now because Ava Reese got a GINORMOUS Pooh Bear for Christmas from Aunt Missy that she loves and I actually let it sit in her room! So obviously I am getting better about the whole Pooh hatred thing. So there is my reason behind "hating" Pooh...but hate is such a strong word. ;)

2 comments:

Cassie Fields said...

That is so funny, the reason I asked is, I am that way about some characters too! Like I really dislike Dora, I don't really know why maybe it is her strangely formed head and hair, I don't know! but I have had to eat my words a few time with Dora clothes and dolls. I haven't ever purchased anything Dora but the girls have recieved Dora gifts? Which is fine because the gifts meant so much more than my irritation with Dora! and now I am just irritated with my response becasue it has the word Dora in it way too much, GGGGRRRR I don't like even saying her name? I am too strange I know! Anyway thanks for the response TTYL

Taz + Belly said...

Girls! Don't let anyone let you feel bad for "hating" characters. I despise them. All of them. I'm fine with them on TV, although we don't focus too much on one to limit the fascination if at all possible {thank goodness Josh doesn't like them either}. I want to let Ella explore and do whatever she wants within reason, but I draw the line at character clothes and I don't care how much she asks. I don't buy princess panties, I found cute polka dotted ones. She has princess tea cups, but that is about as far as we've gotten in the toy arena. There have been a few "questionable" gifts, but after a few days they seem to fall by the wayside. Since I haven't made a big deal over those toys, neither has she. My one exception is Disney World. Every little girl should have Mickey ears and a Tinkerbelle t-shirt, so we'll be enjoying those this Thanksgiving :).